Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Unassisted Water Birth of Lila Rose

My “due date” of January 7th came and went. Having had my last baby at 38 weeks and 2 days, I really thought this one would have been born earlier. I guess babies come when they are good and ready!

We ended up moving to a new home on Saturday, January 17th. Boy was that fun! I suppose you could say my labor began the morning of Monday January 19, 2009. I had on and off contractions throughout the day that were somewhat painful. I was still unsure if this was “it” because they weren’t regular at all. I went to bed that night only to woken up throughout the night with mildly painful contractions. I continued to have irregular mild contractions throughout that Tuesday. I went on with my daily routine of taking the kids to school. As soon as I tried to go to bed around 9:30, they began getting a little more painful and regular. I knew it was time. I labored in the bath tub while Jason filled the birthing pool in the dining room. I remember him putting on the CD I borrowed from my mother. It excited me to know that he was preparing. After a while, I felt like I needed to get out of the bath tub. I found myself sitting on the toilet then walking into my room, then back to the toilet. I repeated this a few times. At one point, I thought I should try to sleep, so I lay down in my bed - that was a mistake! Talk about pain! I have no idea how I ever labored laying down with my two other babies! There would be no sleeping for me.

Around 12:00 midnight, maybe a little before, the pool was finally full! I got out of the bath tub (I had gotten back in) and went downstairs, rocked in the rocking chair for awhile. I then got into the pool.

Things went pretty fast from there. I started feeling the urge to push; actually, my body was pushing on its own. Jason kept telling me not to push because he knew that the slower the baby emerged, the less likely I would tear. I couldn't control it though. The head emerged. I remember looking up at the ceiling, the room seemed so large. I was screaming. Jason was telling me to stop and relax because he was afraid someone would call the police. After the head was out, I told him jokingly, that the police could come in, I could care less! With the next contraction, her body slid out of me.

Lila Rose Belcher was born into Daddy's hands on Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 at 1:30 AM. After he handed her back to me, we bonded and nursed. Jason woke the kids up and they came downstairs. Ava was so excited. JJ on the other hand, fell back asleep on the living room floor. Lila weighed in at 8 pounds 8 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long. I did not tear at all, not even a tiny knick! I thank the perineal stretching we did before hand and the water during the birth.

Lila was 5 minutes old in this picture.

After a half hour or so, we cut the cord and Daddy took Lila to get dressed. I got out of the tub, got a bowl (for the placenta) and headed upstairs. I didn't realize the placenta was going to not come out immediately! (Funny, I had a dream about this happening) I couldn't rest until it was out. I tried nursing more, but it still wasn't near. After an hour and a half, I took the "Placenta Out" that I had ordered from IHH. Within another hour and getting back into a hot bath tub, I was able to push the placenta out. It was larger than I had expected. I then was comfortable and relieved.

We nestled in bed together. My mother tucked us in. I fell asleep with a new person suckling at my breast.

If I could change anything about my birth, there would have been a few things:

1. I would have made sure to have gotten more rest. I was falling asleep between contractions. Everytime one started up again, I cried, not out of pain, but because I didn't want to wake up! Near the very tail end I cried and told Jason I wanted to go to the hospital and I wanted general anesthesia because I just wanted to be asleep. Had I been not tired, I would have been better able to embrace each contraction.

2. I would have told Jason YES, do get the video camera. When he asked me, I was being grumpy and said no that I wasn't worried about that right now.

3. After the birth, I would've tried harder to be warm and comfortable. I think the placenta took a little longer because I got cold.

4. I would've done something with the placenta sooner! I feel as though I wasted it! I wanted to make a smoothie or something with it, but it just never happened. It sat in the fridge until 2 weeks, and then I realized I either had to throw it out or freeze it. It now sits in my freezer. I guess I'll plant it under a tree in the backyard. (If your confused about what I'm talking about click HERE.)

Overall, it was an amazingly wonderful birth. I am ever so grateful to God and my husband, for without them I may not have been able to have such an empowering experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment